Pages

Sunday 17 March 2019

Dear Future Beau,

Are you taking notes? Cause you should.

1. Food is my krypronite. Even Mama-Put is a score cause it kinda shows how 'real' we can be with each other.
Like 'wrap-that-pounded-yam-up-in-our-palms-dunk-it-in-a-chunky-meaty-bowl-of-egusi-soup-swallow-then-wash-it-down-with-a-cold-bottle-of-water' realness.
Sigh. The good life.

But then, if you make the extra effort to wine-and-dine-me-fancy? Honey, now that's a winner.

2. You don't have to try so hard. For me, it's the 'little' things that count.
Like creating a playlist of my (our) favourite tracks, witty conversations, sending me flowers just because (nope, I won't get upset and ask you what I'm meant to do with them), evening walks, holding my hand while you drive, randomly sending me lunch at work (yep, food always finds it's way back to my list), coming by or sending me oddly funny messages to cheer me up, especially when I'm in a bad mood.

3. Communication cannot be overemphasized. It's always been and always will be key for me.
If you're going to be late, if you have to cancel, if you're upset with me, if you're feeling down, if you need some 'You Time', call me, text me, email me, DM me, WhatsApp me. Bottom line, just TELL me. That's all I ask.

4. Oh, sure I do love gifts and surprises too. Those are pretty much just extra chocolate chips on a delicious muffin.
But hey, if you insist, here's a list 😁
- Shoes
- Flowers (again, I won't sarcastically ask you if I'm meant to use them to cook soup.)
- Perfumes (If I could steal every perfume sample flap in every fashion magazine I so would.)
- Accessories (tarnish-free is my lowest limit and FYI, that's pretty affordable.)
- Shoes...again. (because, #BigFeetProblems) 
- Occasional 'unconventional' gifts (my interests are super weird)
and that's about it!

Easy peasy, I know.

PS: 'Complimentary' gifts will very much be appreciated too...if you get my drift 😉

5. Heads-up: I could be a Sensitive Sally some (most) times. So when I whine about say, some human that got on my nerves, in that moment, just 'agree' with every word I say (and I mean, every word) even if I'm wrong, and allow me to cool off.
Then much later (I'll say an hour 30 mins should do the trick), you can drink up the truth serum, be honest, and give it to me straight up. Scold me (lovingly) if you have to.
I promise I'll be so chill by then, I won't (mightn't) bite your head off.

6. I'm a private person, but I love public displays of affection. A kiss on my forehead, a peck on the cheek, bear hugs, tickles, cuddles...I'm all about that life, even though I could also be shy at the same time.
But when it gets overwhelming, I tend to want you to back up juuust a little bit, cause sometimes, a girl just needs her space.
I know right? So many ironies! Don't worry, you'll catch up.

7. Getting to meet your friends and family and those important to you means something - that you are proud to 'show me off' as I will be proud to do so with you too.

8. I love quality time. We could just stay indoors bingeing on movies and series with lots of nibbles (of course) and I'll be fine with that. Content, even.

9. Another heads-up: Your girl loves to plan hangouts way ahead of time - the venue, the entertainment, the means of transportation...except you decide to surprise me and take the reins, then that's an extra bonus point for you.

10. I've been 'sorting' myself out for as long as I can remember. So much so that it's become a part of me and I could appear a tad bit too independent, which sometimes shows up with how I handle my emotions.
I'm used to it. I like that I don't have to 'lean' on any man for support. But the fact is, I'm still human, I'm still a woman, and I do want to be helped sometimes...if not most times.
So when I get all tough and distant and act like I need no-one, don't just leave me be. Offer to support me. Offer to be there. Offer to carry my bags. Offer to open the door. Offer to let me cry on your shoulder. Offer, and then make the effort to actually do what you've offered.
Be THAT gentleman.
Chivalry might be dead, but it would be nice to know that it still is very much alive in you.

So there you have it. Go run with it...beau. (because I still can't stand the word 'bae').

xoxo,
Your Future Belle (Urgh. Why does that sound so corny?)

1 comment:

  1. How that's some deep piece of write up. More like an Expo about u. Nice....

    ReplyDelete