Pages

Wednesday 3 January 2024

I F U N A N Y A

My name is IFUNANYA and It means LOVE in the Igbo language. But how can I reflect the meaning of my name if I don't first love who I am?

A couple of months ago, a friend of mine randomly asked me what I love about myself. To my surprise, I started listing things without having to think about them. At some point, she jokingly had to tell me to stop cause I kept going on and on.

That little exercise made me feel really good and thus, inspired me to write this blog post. So here I am listing all the things (and more) that I absolutely love and admire about Ifunanya. 

1. She's Independent - I've always had the mindset of sorting myself out without expecting help from anybody else - especially when it comes to my finances. There are so many milestones in my life that I achieved through my own strengths, skills, personal resources and ultimately, God's grace. 

I recently realized that I don't give myself enough credit for even my "small" accomplishments, but that's going to change from here on out.

2. She's Empathetic - I can't count how many times people, including those who I barely even know, feel safe enough to share their deepest emotions with me without fear of judgement. "Sensitive Sally" - that's what my friends call me sometimes. The nickname was culled from the fact that I can be overly emotional, but I guess that also helps me relate with the feelings of others - proof that what could be a curse can also serve as a gift. 

3. She's a Good Listener - I'll say this is undoubtedly one of my many super powers. Asides from the fact that I'm not much of a talker, listening to others vent or talk about their own experiences allows them feel heard, which to be honest, gives me a sense of fulfilment knowing I have made someone feel better just by talking to me.

4. Her Physique - My height. My shape. My legs. I meaaan, have you seen me? 

5. Her Elegance - This just comes naturally. I don't even have to try so hard. Now who wouldn't love that about themselves?

6. Her Confidence - I'm articulate and outspoken. I can step into a room full of people with my head held high. 

Big ups to my mum for instilling this trait in me. Indeed, lioness no fit born goat. 

7. Her Intelligence - I had straight A's in my JSCE, graduated from secondary school as the Library Prefect, and was a top student in my class from primary school to university. But book smart aside, my intelligence often showcases itself in my work, perspectives, and conversations. 

Double score.

8. She's Attractive - A few months ago, I watched an interview of Tina Turner (RIP) that made me truly understand the essence of being attractive. I notice how much my aura attracts not just anybody, but a certain calibre of like-minded people with a positive energy.

Beautiful AND attractive? Well, damn. 

9. She's Creative - I'm a content creator. I draw. I paint. I write poems. I blog. Need I say more? 

10. She's Adventurous - I'm always down to try new things, solo travel to new places and embrace new opportunities. It's the adrenaline rush for me!

11. Her Facial Features - I was insecure about my nose for the looongest time. I even thought about getting a rhinoplasty done (pssssh!) or giving dermal fillers a try, but then I thought, why fix something that's not broken? 

Now, I've learnt to embrace all my features - the flat nose, the wide lips and big forehead - because they are the perfect representation of my unique and authentic self. 

12. She's Resilient - I pride myself in being a finisher - once I start something, I must see it to the very end. It could be as little as a workout routine or as big as a work project - there's no stopping me when my foot is on the pedal. 

13. She's Resourceful - Having trouble fleshing out an idea? In search of a list of vendors for a particular product? Finding it hard to draft a report? Need help with planning an event? I'm your girl.

14. Her Sense of Humour - I might not be the funniest person you've ever met, but my weird ass sense of humour cracks me the hell up - anyone else who gets it, gets it. 

PS: People who can relate have a special place in my heart. 

15. She's a Conversationalist - I can talk about any and everything with just about anyone and not get lost in the conversation. Research is key - thank you Google.  

16. Her Music Taste - A blend of every genre from every timeline. One of the many reasons why I get giddy with excitement whenever my playlist is on shuffle.

17. She's Unconventional - My preferences are somewhat not within the usual norm. Odd things often interest me. They say weird is the new cool, am I right? 

18. She's an Introvert - Whenever my friends call me a homebody and jokingly say I'm "anti-social", I lowkey love the fact that they know that about me. I would say that coming home to my bed, listening to music or watching a movie alone while eating a snack is easily my most favourite part of the day. Enjoying your own company is top tier. 

19. Her Voice - I don't know if anyone is as obsessed about their voice as much as I am. Sometimes I replay my voice notes and just swoon to the sound of it. Don't judge me. 

20. Her Smile - 3,000 watt. It also helps that I have a pretty nice set of teeth - gap, to be precise. 

21. She's Genuine - If there's one thing about me, it's that I would never stress to impress. What you see, is what you get. 

21 points? Way to go, Ifunanya! Way to go!

Now here's to you reading this - I hope it makes you realize all the seemingly little wonderful things about you that you often take for granted. 

Cause you, my darling, are AH-MAZING. Never forget that. 


xxx

Ifunanya 






1 comment:

  1. Introvert??? In what country? Mozambique? India? Dey play. I agree with most of the rest sha somehow somehow. Happy New Year weyrey! Never change.

    ReplyDelete