Pages

Tuesday 22 December 2015

ArtTwentyOne:TwentyOneArtists:TwentyFirstCentury

Art.
A simple three letter word that encompasses a million ideas in one.

Sometimes I just realize how awesome it is to have a talent that is so rare but yet spans within the family.

Dated back to primary school when my classmates used to line up at my desk just to get a helping hand from me as regards their art projects.
Then to my brother who made lots of cash off his mates in secondary school for the exact same thing. He and my sister always represented our school in art competitions and won a handful of them. Three of us were also members of an art group in the University as well.
My other brother...well, he is an architect. Need I say more?

And my folks? Mum is super creative when it comes to music (singing to be precise), poetry (she was an English & Literature teacher) and textiles. You should see her 'bespoke' wardrobe.
Dad had the most 'perfect' handwriting I have ever seen till date. It was a blend between calligraphy and just plain beauty. Always keen on dotting all his i's and crossing all his t's.
Even his signature! The time he always spent signing my report card though...(lol)

I was invited for an art exhibition a few days ago at the Art Twenty One Gallery tagged Platform: Twenty One Artists and the scenery really got my nod of approval.





 
The African art culture is so rich! Now I sense why the British were in awe and how the idea of the Second World Black and African Festival of Arts and Culture better known as Festac'77 must have come into view.

We must admit that even in this modern day, the African culture truly doesn't appreciate art in general especially, Fine Art. So seeing so many people (even familiar faces from way back in school) at the exhibition really made me smile.
Guess it's relatively safe to say African Art is finally getting her groove back.

I happen to be acquaintances with an art dealer/manager @hrh247 and his artist @johnmadu_art whose works were showcased that day alongside 20 other talented artists (hence the '21 Artists' title).

So without further ado, here are a couple of shots I took of the works that caught my fancy.
Let the art speak for itself...


Yeanzi.
Melted plastic portrait. My best piece...



Dennis Osadebe





Chinenye Godsproperty John
I love the 'irony' of the only female gender picture of this piece. Who says a girl can't aspire to be an engineer or any 'male-tagged' profession for that matter?





I.Am.Isigo
Can conveniently pass as Lady Gaga's preferred designer wardrobe...



Maxivive
I asked Max what sprung up this idea. He said It's the 'Agbada of the future'. 
Well I say, 'Raining season? Problem solved!'



Tokyo James




Yinka Ilori
Can imagine these cute pretty furniture pieces at my sister's. So her.





And of course...John Madu
Always a message behind his works. Love the depth


I for one certainly couldn't leave without a complimentary glass of champagne...and a few tapas to go...
#FoodieNation




2 comments:

  1. @Yinka Ilori's Ankara chair - Immediately I saw it I loved it! You know me too well, lil sis...lol!
    One day I will feature in an art exhibition...need to go back to my love, Arts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete